Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Gearing up for some serious Ironman training!

So it's been about a month since my disastrous race in Santa Rosa. Meanwhile, I took some time to evaluate where I am and where I want/need to be in order to have an awesome race at Soma half and Ironman AZ. I have a lot of work to do and am ready to get going. Here are some of the things I've been doing.

1) I met with Jen Koslo from Koslo's Nutrition Solutions and evaluated my diet. I am eating more frequently and adding protein. I am far from a meat lover, so protein is my biggest deficit and I also found out I am eating TOO MANY carbs... WHAT!?!??! I've always thought I need tons and tons of carbs but I found out I'm overdoing it to the point where it is actually hurting my weight. Things are starting to get better now and I am feeling good. I just need to control myself... which is so hard when I am ALWAYS so hungry! I also wasn't refueling with the right foods as well, so I now chug two cups of chocolate soymilk after my workouts :) yum!!!!!!! Jen is awesome and I highly recommend seeing her if you have any questions about your nutrition or diet. She's affordable and has a very flexible schedule.

2) I saw Bill Egan for my first ever TT bike fit! I have never felt right on my bike, so after talking to fellow cyclists and triathletes I was talked into doing it. In fact I've been so uncomfortable on my bike that it's really been hurting my long rides. My neck hurt, my crotch hurt.. well you get the idea. I spent about and hour and a half at Bill's house last night, tweaking things so they are jjjuuusssttt right, and I'm really excited to see how if feels on my ride tomorrow! The good news is he said I was an easy fix. My bike is the right size for me and I have good form. I was also sitting WAY too low, which he said hurt me A LOT! However, no long ride this weekend because I need to ease into the new position.... darn it!

3) I am starting to strength train seriously two times a week. I realize that this is KEY to injury prevention and really need to get on it. No more slacking! So light lifting and core exercises are part of my schedule two times a week for a total of 2 hours a week now.

4) Instead of working two jobs, I am now working only 1 job, which is awesome. I was beginning to feel so incredibly tired all the time and it just wasn't good. I am no longer working as a personal trainer. It was wearing me out being in the gym so much since I am already training 15-20 hrs a week for Ironman on my own.. that's like a part time job itself!! So I am now working at a local Chiropractor's office here in Ahwatukee, who is also a fellow triathlete. I feel at home here and challenged, which is good. I am happy :)

So my goals right now include:

1) Get down to race weight. Lose about 6 pounds.

2) Get stronger by adding light lifting and core training twice a week.

3) Get out there on my bike, swim more and stay focused.

4) Keep my nutrition on track, stay motivated to eat right.

If I stick to these goals I feel like I will be in good shape for IMAZ. I'm feeling pretty motivated now, so I think I'll go swim!

XOXO
Cori

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cori! His bone isn't minty flavored.. that would be cool though. I am signed up for IMCDA next year. I don't think we should race against each other at the half or full until we at Kona together :-) That way we can both get slots!!! KONA BABY!!!! I will be rooting for you at IMAZ this in November :-)

Oh and CONGRATS on your WIN today!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love how I didn't proof read what I just posted :-) HEE HEE