Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Lake Havasu and update


So on Friday March 21 Brian and I took the long drive to Lake Havasu for the Lake Havasu Olympic distance triathlon. Lets just say I was very excited for the race becasue I haven't been racing a lot lately, just training. Well... my excitement was gone early race-day morning as soon as I felt the wind whipping through my hair. We left our hotel room on our bikes early and rode down to the lake where the transition area was. First, we got crappy spots in the crammed transition area. Then we did a warm up run and it turned out the beginning and end of the run was on dry sand! I was not happy, and it didnt help the water was 62 degrees either.

Brian started with the collegiate men, and I was left standing alone on the beach waiting for my wave to start a half hour later. The water was freezing, and when the horn went off I dove in. The waves were much more rough than I expected. I was getting tossed everywhere and could hardly breathe because my body was so cold. I went into a panic state, but pushed through it by swimming very slowly and taking long deep breaths. I couldn't believe I made it out of the water alive after the swim! I ran into transition and grabbed my bike. We had to run over dirt and rocks with our bikes to get to the road, and as soon as I hopped on my bike I felt the wind whipping at me. I couldn't believe how slow I was biking. It felt like I wasn't even moving. It was then when I got really sad and realized my time was going to be absolutely horrible. The bike course was the hilliest course I've ever done. There was even a point where I had to get off my bike and walk up a hill it was so bad. When I saw Brian halfway through the bike course, I could tell he was also having a hell of a day. By the time I finished the bike I had given up on the run. I told myself I was just going to run the 6.2 miles and enjoy the Lake Havasu scenery.... and I did. I ran slow and had a jolly old time. I finished in 2 hours and 57 minutes, which is so depressing. Brian gave up too, and we were both happy to get the heck out of there after crossing the dreaded finish line. I was the most happy after arriving home and enjoying a large bowl of yummy cereal.


After the devistation of Havasu (that even sounds horrible) I really want to have a good next race. I've been feeling a little down, and my body is sore. I want to take it easy for a while and regain my mentality because right now in training I even hate running. We decided not to swim in the toilet bowl (aka Tempe Town Lake) for the 2.4 mile open water swim on Sunday. Next weekend is Ironman and I will be volunteering at run aid station #2 and cheering for Team Folts. I am very excited for that and cant wait to see how Brian does.


Last Saturday I biked with Brian, Patrick and a group of Lifetime Fitness cyclists to Tortilla Flat. It was an awesome ride and we met the CEO of Lifetime. I decided today to rejoin the gym because I miss it so much. The Y is great, but nothing beats Lifetime and it's 24-hour pool hours. Hopefully this decision will also motivate me in training as well, and to stop being such a downer.


March 31 was also my moms birthday. I think she turned 26 again... haha just kidding. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! I love you!


Thats all (for now) folks.

No comments: