Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Colorado Relay

Running through the Rocky Mountains from Friday morning to Saturday morning really had an impact on my life. I cannot even begin to explain the feeling of running in the mountains at 2 a.m., just me, the Eagle river to my left, snow capped mountains to my right, a full moon and stars brighter than I've ever seen reflecting off of the river. All I could hear was my foot steps, and my mind telling me, "this is what life is all about."

The 174-mile Colorado Relay adventure started at 7 a.m. Friday morning in Georgetown. Runners 1-5 were in van A and runners 6-10 were in van B (my van). I was runner 9. After meeting in Morrison at 5 a.m. my van drove to exchange point 5 where our 6th runner would take the bracelet from runner 5. My first run was at about 4 p.m. in Breckenridge. It was about 6 miles and it was snowing and cold! I had a great run though and I felt really good. After our first legs we went to one of our teammembers parents house in Frisco and hung out. The house was amazing and we all drank hot chocolate, ate some food and took a nice nap. At around 10 it was time to drive to our next exchange point to meet the other runners again. My second run was the run I described earlier - about 12 miles on highway 6 around Eagle, CO. I was alone for most of the run and my iPod was out of battery, so it was just me and my footsteps. It was amazing. After our second legs we slept in the van at the next exchange poing until about 7:30 a.m. My third and final leg was about 6 miles on an uphill dirt road toward Carbondale. About halfway into the run a cow was standing in the road blocking my way! I had to wait for him to move over and let me pass because there was barbed wire on either side of the road. It was scary! We finished in about 27 hours in Carbondale and the weather was perfect.

But now it is back to Ironman training! I missed a long bike on Saturday because of the relay (it was worth it) so this weekend im in it for the long haul.

Home in a week :)

XOXO Cori

No comments: