Sunday, January 25, 2009

Staying on the bright side... or trying to!

On Wednesday I bought new DS Trainers from Runners High 'N Tri, my new favorite triathlon store (probably the only triathlon store in the Chicagoland area) and I went straight to lifetime to try to run for the first time in three weeks. I ran about 2.5 miles before my knee started to feel pain again. I got very upset and went straight to the stairmaster for an hour on the highest level I could handle. On Thursday morning I finally brought myself to call Fox Valley Orthopedics, the doctor's office where I went my senior year in high school and where I had surgury on my right knee for torn cartilidge. I called at 8:40 and was in the office for my appointment by 9:15... yes, that's 35 minutes later. After I told them what was wrong, with tears in my eyes, they xray'd my knee and gave me a physical exam. I was dissappointed when they couldn't draw any conclusions to what could be wrong with me. I was then asked to schedule an MRI, which I did on Saturday morning. On Tuesday morning I will see the doctor again for the results from the MRI. All I can do now is pray that they will be able to tell me what is wrong and exactly how I can fix it so I can start running like normal again!

I also spent a couple nights Google-ing and reading forums about people that have had similar knee pain in the back of the knee while running. I found that most people said it was either they needed new shoes, or that they slowly eased back into running by starting at a mile and adding just a tiny distace every day until they built back up to where they were before. Most people said their doctors were unable to diagnose the problem as well. How annoying! Anyway...
on Thursday I started by running 14 minutes around my neighborhood. On Friday I ran 17 minutes and yesterday I ran 22 minutes. So far, so good. I did not run today because it is so cold outside that yesterday I developed hives all over my stomach and legs after being out there for 22 minutes and I couldn't bring myself to get out there again today so I went to the gym and did some work on the elliptical instead. I will get back out there tomorrow and attempt 25 minutes.

I am also obsessed with
my new fluid trainer which I've spent the past two Saturdays on in my basement! If you're looking for a trainer... I highly reccommend CycleOps. I bought three Spinervals workouts and the one I've been doing on Saturdays is called "Tough Love." And it is just that! Three hours of ridiculous intervals! I love it! At least if I can't run at the time I can get faster on the bike, which I need to work on anyway.

Trying to keep my spirits u
p! Tomorrow is my first day of school also so I am very excited for that!

More later!


XOXO
Cori

1 comment:

Eric Jelinek said...

Hey Cori,
Sorry to hear about your knee. If it makes you feel any better, that's why I had to withdraw from IMAZ April '08. I had a 'knee issue' similar to yours that the doctors could not diagnose. I had an X-ray, MRI and all they told me was that I had a "textbook perfect knee!" Sheesh ... yet I couldn't run on it for more than 10 minutes. So, I took a few (3) weeks off completely from running, biked and swam much, much more, then came back to running very cautiously. Slowly and surely, I got back into my groove and, viola, I was healthy and ready for IMAZ November '08. I PR'd with an 11:13, thanks to all the bike and swim base I built up from my knee injury. I only ran a 4:21 marathon, but that isn't so bad for me.

Soooo, keep the faith and know that your biking and swimming will improve greatly you when you finally are able to run again.