Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Taper Time

Tapering is really not my thing. I never used to race much because I don't like doing it. I would rather just stick to my routine and stay happy and, most would say, extremely active. But then again, the emotional benefit of racing and doing well is amazing, and after I cross that finish line I know the two weeks I took easy were worth it.
So on Sunday I took Luanne to the Ahwatukee Y. We went on the treadmills for a half hour and I took it easy walk/running. I did some stretching and a little abs as well. Yesterday I ran 6 miles around race pace and stretched a bit. Today I ran about 4 miles easy but it was hard for me to stop as my body wanted to keep running. I really can't wait until Sunday to give it all I've got!
I've been doing a lot of online research about tapering for a marathon, and it seems to me I'm not alone. No one really has figured out what's right and what's wrong to do a week before the race. Some professionals say they take 3 week almost completely off before the big day, while others run right up to the day before the marathon. Maybe the right thing is different for each individual, and we all have to figure out what works for us as each race passes by.
Brian keeps telling me that there is nothing anyone can do the week before the marathon to improve their race. But if I dont at least get out there for a little bit I start to feel sluggish and tight. It begins to be harder to get up in the mornings and to get my body loose and ready to go. I think for me, short easy runs each day up to the race is a good road to take. But then again, we'll see after the race!

No comments: