Saturday, January 5, 2008

Starting the new year off right

Today is Saturday, and if it was any other Saturday I'd be on my 70 mile bike ride. But, it's a week away from P.F. Chang's marathon and I don't want to over do it. In the past, tapering has never been my forte, however, this time I want to do it right. I'm going to give my body some time to rest before the big day - something I've never been able to force myself to do. I'm pretty sure the day before my first half marathon, I ran a half marathon on my own. And the week before my first marathon I kept up with my long weekday runs too! For San Diego in June I kept running all week long, an hour a day probably. This week I'm gonna chill and try to keep the millage down, like most smart people do before a 26.2 mile race! And maybe, hopefully, I wont cramp up at mile 20 this time!
Today I'm going to run 8 miles. I would normally run on Sundays, but because there's no biking today, and it's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow, I'm going to run today.
I've also been thinking a lot about nutrition during the race. I've never ran a marathon where I fueled my body properly. This time it's all about that. I'm going to bring my own GUs (mistake made at Las Vegas marathon), carry them myself (mistake made at San Diego marathon 2007) and actually eat one every 6 miles (mistake made at San Diego marathon 2006). Everybody is different, but I've learned from my own mistakes that I need to fuel my body in order to make it 26.2 miles comfortably. Nutrition - another thing I'm going to do RIGHT this year!

No comments: