Saturday, January 26, 2008

This post is answering a comment that I recently received: What were some of the emotions felt by the Marathoners that you could pass on to us? What do you feel is the greatest hurdle to overcome while finishing a marathon? What is your motivation?

The answer to the first question is rather tough to answer. Each individual has different emotions when running. There's a rush of adrenaline when you're doing well, it is overwhelming when you finish a top runner, complete and utter accomplishment when you cross the line, no matter what time you receive at a marathon, but then there are also negative emotions. I watched first time marathoner Leah break down during the marathon. If you train, and your body and mind are ready to take on a race this long, it is easy to have good feelings, but if you are inexperienced or under-trained, the pain is sometimes unbearable. Some people feel disappointment and lack of self worth if they fail at something they've worked so hard to accomplish.

The greatest hurdle I have to overcome while finishing a marathon has got to be the last 6 miles. No matter how much I improve these last miles are always a battle against myself, both emotionally and physically. By mile 21 my legs always feel like lead and each step hurts more than the last. I would be rich if I had a PENNY for each time I told myself I wanted to quit - that it just hurt too bad - but as each mile passes I am more and more motivated to finish the race. It is NEVER easy, and I've talked to a lot of elite runners that say it never does get easier, you just get faster. I believe this with all my heart.

As for my motivation, it comes from a lot of things. When I first started running I was on my own. No one was telling me I should run. I did all my runs by myself and everybody thought I was crazy. Running was the one thing that put me in the perfect state of mind. When I run I feel like I am in a place between being awake and dreaming. It is my time, time where no one can bother me. I can think about anything in the world, and I really just feel like ME. As time went on I met more and more people that shared my passion. This amount of people has grown to an uncountable number and I am thankful for each and every one of them I've met since I started training in 2006 - for they are now part of my motivation. Now I run because it keeps me healthy, it makes me happy and it is still my ME time, but can also be a social activity during group runs. I can't think of anything that makes me feel better than running.

Hope this helped!

No comments: