Sunday, October 19, 2008

I did it!

I am so proud to tell you that yesterday I successfully completed 113 miles on the bike and a 35 minute T-run afterwards! I cant even begin to explain how awesome I felt after 8 hours of working out and how excited I am for Ironman. I am so thankful to Laura for making me do this ride as I am no longer nervous, well I should probably say afraid because I will be peeing in my pants with nervousness before the race, to bike 112 miles during Ironman. I have to say I had a few ups and down during the ride though. My new shoes eventually made my toes cramp up inside them after about 80 miles and by crotch hurt like a... well I'm not sure.. but it freakin hurt! I'm going to have to figure out something to do about that crotch thing... and I will probably just wear my old biking shoes and put new cleets on them in order to save my toes! I stayed on top of my nutrition and it payed off. I drank three 24 ounce gatorades, a water bottle and I ate... well more than most people could imagine. I ate every 45 minutes (and a few times in between when my body told me it was time) and my snacks included gels, bananas and clif kid Z bars (amazing by the way!) I also consumed two Endurolites tablets every hour or so and dumped one into my gatorade every time I filled it up. Depending on the race conditions I know I might need more Endurolites and salt, but we will have to wait until race day to determine that (even though I'm sure my pockets will be stuffed with the things nonetheless.)

Today I ran for two hours and six minutes, and felt really tired but I pushed through. It was probably because I fell asleep before I could eat a good dinner last night after my long day. I will be sure to never make that mistake again! Today I went to Souper Salad and made up for it with lots of veggies, fruit, salad, soup, cornbread (oh yeah I know you're jealous I can eat this much.) Sometimes I can't even believe how much I eat, and I can't believe I'm not 500 pounds. But I know it's what my body needs so I'll get over the fact that I feel like a human garbage disposal.

I also spent time at the library today reading other triathlete's blogs and race reports for past Ironman Arizona races. I actually cried when I was reading them because it is just so amazing. In the past, IMAZ was held in April and known for brutal heat and winds. I (as I'm sure all athletes) are praying for better conditions in this November race. Anyway the weather pans out... I will be mentally ready to take on this challenge and I know I will become an Ironman... I can just feel it!

Tomorrow I plan on swimming long again and I am also planning on taking a few Bikram yoga classes again in these final weeks before the race to loosen up my muscles. Bikram is amazing and i miss sweating my butt off in those classes.

More to come!

XOXO
Cori

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey COri!!!
I have checked in on your blog every now and then :-) I am so excited for you and your first IM!!! I will be out there cheering you on!!!! Also, congrats on getting into Grad School!
Best of Luck,
Elizabeth Rich